Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Leonie's mexican pancake stack

Now this recipe is mine all mine but the original idea came from one of my besties....Jane!

This recipe is fantastic and easy..... its also impressive for the kids.... It's a wonderful use for leftovers....the original is calls for Burrito flavoured mince, but for my twist and a smiggin of originality I use left over chilli mince..... I cooked it here thanks to Nigella ... now I purposefully made a large double batch with this recipe in mind as I knew the week was going to be crazy and I was feeding at least 8 on one night....

so here goes....

1 quantity of Nigella's chilli
1 quantity of pancake batter.... seriously I do not have a recipe..... I make as I go......
but will give it a try.

2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 cups milk (seriously I add milk until I get a nice smooth runny consistency(I like them flat and large!!)
1 egg
1 cup grated tasty cheese (I often use what ever I have in my fridge, this time I used Red Leicester, cheddar and some parmesan)
Using a wisk, wisk like a crazy lady until batter is smooth, add cheese


cook the panacakes in a non-stick pan, now I always throw the first one in the bin.....I sure hope everyone else does too.... they always look so awful! cook until bubbles appear flip and cook other side...... stack pancakes on a plate until all batter is done. Now this makes a LOT of pancakes.... my boys love them!!!! they eat them for an after school snack as I am cooking, honestly there is nothing better or easier than a cheesy pancake on a cold afternoon!


then honest to god is it so simple, layer the mince - pancake - mince - pancake until you have no more, finishing with a pancake and topped with cheese.... seriously it is THAT easy!

now I often make this through the day... well ok I did when I was a stay at home mum....but now I just do it when I have time, but you can make ahead then just pop into the oven for about 40 minutes, until it is heated through and chesse has melted and browned... now I leave foil on for the first 30  minutes then remove for cheese to brown....

to serve this we would often eat it with sour cream, guacamole and a simple salad..... its yum simple honest cooking that anyone could do!

Happy cooking xx

No comments:

Post a Comment