Sunday, May 13, 2012

My hotchpotch savoury muffins

These muffins are a staple in the boys lunch boxes.... There are always some in the freezer, in the colder months they are great for work with soup, just adding that something missing thing I get from soup at times (to be honest I zap them in the microwave for 10 secs then they transform back into the fresh warm muffin straight out of the oven...smell and all) As I have always preferred savoury to sweet these or variations of these would have to be my favourite type of muffin.....

The savoury muffin base is:

3 cups self raising flour
1 Teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups of milk
1 cup of tasty cheddar, pizza cheese mix (or sometimes a mix of parmesan if you dare.... and I DARE!!)

That is the basic mix, now I add whatever is in the fridge, my usual suspects are Sundried tomatoes (yes they are cool and soooo NOT out of fashion, why people ever gave up on these is beyond me they are simply YUM), oven roasted capsicum (for these two I alwas have jars of 'always Fresh' in the fridge). I also add any cold meats hamm, salami, prosciutto(I dice and fry mine), herbs (I love cheese and chives!) pineapple works if it is well drained, to add more of a pizza flair you can add 2 tbs of tomato paste, eshallots diced are good too.... the list is seriously endless and limited only by your fridge and pantry ingredients!

Mix the basic mix until just combined, add all other ingredients mix til evenly stired through, using an icecream scoop add to lined muffin tine and bake for 25-30 minutes at 180

These babies are delicious warm straight out of the oven....

ENJOY!!!!


happy cooking xx

5 comments:

  1. Ooh yum, these muffins look delicious, I know my kids would love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely trying these! Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My comment disappeared after I published it, so I'm sending it again (hope it doesn't appear twice - feel free to delete if it does ;-) ) Great recipe!! Can you please tell me how you make the muffin liners? They are visually pleasing (great for a hard-to-feed family) and would be preferable to cooking spray, which is what I usually do. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete